100 games a season: Gare Joyce's puck blog

Just like being in the scouts' & press' lounge, without the bad coffee and day-old Timbits

Name:
Location: Toronto

I've written for ESPN The Magazine and espn.com the last five years. My work has made the "notable" list of the Best American Sports Writing seven times and won four Canadian National Magazine Awards. My most recent book is Future Greats and Heartbreaks: A Year Undercover in the Secret World of NHL Scouts. I've written three other sports books: When the Lights Went Out: How One Brawl Ended Hockey's Cold War and Changed the Game; Sidney Crosby: Taking the Game by Storm; and The Only Ticket Off the Island: Baseball in the Dominican Republic.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Where Legends Go to Get Out of the Cold: Sask SHoF

In frigid Regina today (at about minus-25 why keep counting). Got within 100 yards of the Hotel Saskatchewan when I thought my nose was dropping off. Ducked into a building to count my appendages. (Clean it up). The building just happened to be the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame.

http://www.sshfm.com/

Per capita Saskatchewan turns out more NHLers than any other province and presumably any other more exotic locale. (I know, anywhere else would be more exotic.) Headliner for hockey, of course, is Gordie Howe. Hard to top. Funny, hockey wing is only slightly larger than curling, which in turn is larger (I'd say) than football. They make really nice use of limited space--exhibits in pull-out drawers beneath displays.

Odd thing. The good folks in Saskatchewan seem not only to be world-wide leaders in hockey players but also in museums. (Visited the ones in Moose Jaw and Swift Current last month--that Swift would have a museum struck me as a stretch.) Like I say, if it boosts the number of places to get out of the cold, I'm for it.